It is kind of fascinating how Egyptian Sundials transformed into highest technical (and technological) wonders that pack together machines, gauges, speed and technology. Wearing a piece of such fine display of engineering skills and craftsmanship blended to unique esthetics is a mark of the wearer’s confidence against complications. Ubiquitous cell phones (or similar gadgets) definitely display the time, yet they show a frightening lack of the imagination, fascination and fluidity that creates horology’s centuries-old art. And if you possess a love for machines, there are chances you’ll like chronographs all the more.
However, we talk here not of something as quintessential as a $100,000 fly-back with double-rattrapante – it is best as a part of a collection – or the A. Lange & Söhne Double Split; work wears demand differently. These are a few of those affordable, mechanical chronographs.
1. Citizen Chronograph Tachymeter : For $130, you get a gold-tone men’s watch with a black dial, luminous hands and markers, date display and 100meters water resistance. The clean, sharp look is its USP.
2. Casio Edifice Chronograph : For $165, you get a stainless steel case and bracelet housing a high-precision quartz Movement in Caliber 5174. This chronograph can split time into 1/20th of a second; features a tachymeter and date display.
3. Jacques Lemans Formula 1 Silverstone Chronograph : $180 for this Jacques Lemans Formula 1 Silverstone Chronograph. This one houses a Quartz Movement within a stainless steel case and tells dual time and the date. Has luminous hands and hour markers and is 100M water resistant.
4. Nautica Black NST Chronograph : The Nautica Black NST features a stainless steel case and bracelet, a tachymeter and 3 Sub-dials on the main, black dial. Displays date and is 100M water resistant.
5. DKNY Men’s Chronograph : This one is in the same price range ($181) and features either brushed or polished stainless steel, choice is yours. Has a charcoal grey dial (with three sub-dials), all in high contrasts. Looks bold due to the extremely good legibility.